Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oh, January!

Against all odds, January is becoming one of my favorite months of the year. Living in Kentucky - after living in the Midwest - certainly makes January much more pleasant. So far this month, I think we've had great weather! Plenty of sunshine, soothing rain. We've spent many afternoons outside traipsing around our yard, and a couple times we didn't even have to wear a coat! No snow though, which is certainly sad to a three-year-old little boy who doesn't understand all the implications of a long, snowy winter.

New Year's resolutions have been a big hit with our family so far this month. We've all cut out sugar and white stuff, except when we have guests over for a meal. We're feeling much better! We've had several families over for dinner or Sunday lunch, and having guests really brightens my spirit that is so susceptible to the winter doldrums.

I've tossed out the to-do list for a while. Yes, I did great with it in the fall. But December's list was just way too long! Just to warn you for the next time you visit my house: I've cut my cleaning routine almost in half and have vowed to cook less this year. Last year we had a cleaner house and homemade yogurt, tortillas, and pita bread, but this year we have a more relaxed Mommy!

Lisa has set a wonderful example for me this month. We are both so interested in creative activities and hobbies, but she recently decided to dedicate her spare time to one type of project at a time. What a great idea! I've run with that idea and have spent a few evenings just scrapbooking. I only want to scrapbook our Christmas pictures, and I'm approaching completion of Christmas 2006. I'm hoping to start catching up on the last two years, too, but I'm putting all scrapbooking away on February 1st, so we'll see how far I get. Thanks Lisa, I've learned that focusing is fun!

I hope your January has been pleasant, as well. Let me encourage you to stick with those resolutions...especially if it's something like "cooking less!" More importantly, dedicate yourself this year to more prayer and Bible study. The winter provides long, quiet evenings indoors that can be wonderfully used for reflection, reading and prayer. When we take what we consider the negatives of winter and use them so positively, it could have a powerful influence on our year!

1 comment:

little mama said...

I'm so glad that the 'one craft at a time' idea worked for you, too. I was so happy to finally finish my sewing project and put everything away yesterday. Now I'm taking a break before I dive into my scrapbooking projects that have been left unfinished. I will be calling you soon!!!