Monday, October 06, 2008

40 Weeks

Or should I say 10 months? What a strange, good pregnancy! I feel fine, and some of the worst pregnancy symptoms haven't afflicted me at all this time around. Am I tougher, is my body stronger, or am I just used to all this? It's just amazing, I feel fine.

I will admit to being annoyed at the multitude of Braxton-Hicks contractions. I think it's safe to say I've had hundreds at this point, starting at about 5 months along. I was woken up by contractions Friday morning at 2:00 and I had them every 5 to 15 minutes for the next 36 hours. None were too painful, but there was varying intensity and occassionally I had to catch my breath. With all this labor practice, I'm a little concerned about recognizing true labor in time to get the kids with Eric's parents and us to the hospital. I'm hoping my water will just break so I know it's real. If you've ever doubted the sincerity of false labor, I'm telling you it's real and it's tricky, and I'm so glad it didn't happen with my first child! I've had two bouts of it so far this time around.

I can say confidantly that we are ready now! The freezer is well stocked (and I can't wait to break in and eat some of the yummy meals), the knitted baby blanket is completed, and the house is in a constant neat/mostly clean state. I even squeezed in a new project on Saturday inspired by the free form embroidery I admire at Tiny Happy. It was my first try at regular embroidery and it was so much fun! I just put the needle in the fabric and this is what came out. It was purely creative, unplanned and fast! In case you're wondering what it is, it's a nursing blanket. I think they're pretty new on the baby scene and they mostly resemble the bib a dentist straps around you...just much prettier. You have to laugh when you see the ads for them because the brand name is Hooter Hiders! They are ridiculously expensive but such a joy to make! This project was also really fun because I only used materials from my stash, and I'm finding that's much more rewarding than having to look around an expensive fabric store for supplies.
With Cora being 11 days early, and Wesley a due date baby, we are definitely surprised we don't have a baby yet. I'm finding that each day we get to do something great, whether having a baby or regularly planned events. Friday we made my favorite fall meal together (apple glazed pork chops with fried apples and onions. YUM!), Saturday we had great family time, had movie night, and I tried my hand at that new project. Sunday we made our first trip back to the country to celebrate our friend's 70th birthday and talk to so many beloved church friends we haven't seen for two full months now. Today another friend from the country is bringing her daughters to visit, and we haven't seen them since we moved, either! Tomorrow is a play date for moms in the church at a new friend's house, and I'm really hoping to go and meet more women. Wesley has just started Royal Rangers and his first pinewood derby is Wednesday night. He is so excited and my one fear is that the baby will be born any time Wednesday pm, which will make it difficult to go to Royal Rangers. Speaking of the derby, he wanted to make a dinosaur car, but we thought that was impossible. He picked the dinosaur Leviathan, which was actually doable, and it looks so cool! Wish I had a picture, but Eric took it with him today to weigh it.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Ami, you look great! I know what you mean about BH contractions. I thought the same thing; when will I know this is for real. I don't know if I would hope that your water would break because within 20 minutes or so of mine breaking, I had a baby :) You would have to do some fast driving. I love your projects. You and Lisa are both so crafty!!

jessie said...

Ami,
You look so beautiful! I had bh contractions with both pregnancies from about 5 months, and I usually had them multiple times a day; but when the real thing hits, you know it! It's slightly different somehow. Anyway, I'm sure you'll do fine! I'm excited to see pics of the new sweetie!!!
Love,
Jessie Shock