We started with chore charts in January this year, but they fizzled out when pregnancy symptoms set in. And then when we had the long move transition, we didn't even attempt chore charts. I'm happy to say that we started again shortly after the move and have been consistent now for over a month!
This time, it's working out great. The kids are actually doing stuff on their own that lightens my load! We've made the whole process as simple as possible, and that's why it's working for us.
First, I can make the charts on the computer at the DLTK website. The site remembers what you typed, so I can make new charts in two or three minutes. The kids get a sticker for each job completed, and then they get paid ten cents per sticker on Saturday night or Sunday morning. The money is divied up evenly between giving, saving and spending. How convenient that we are just heading off to church and they have offering money they worked for! Spending money goes in their bag in my purse. If they ask for something when we're shopping, they either have to pay for it or put it on their birthday/Christmas list. I seriously don't want big kids or teenagers asking me for money, so we're never going to let that habit form.
They each usually make about $1.10 to $1.50 a week. Upkeep of this system, including paying them, takes less than ten minutes a week. I can handle that.
Learning what work they can actually do is the most exciting part for me, and this is also where I'd like advice. What jobs do your kids do? So far Wesley sets the dinner table, puts away his laundry, empties all the bathroom trash (and replaces the trash bags!), and cleans up his toys before bed. Cora sets the lunch table, puts away her laundry, and cleans up her toys before bed. I've just learned that I can add vacuuming the stairs with the Dustbuster to Wesley's list, and rolling up the little washcloths and putting them in the basket to Cora's list. If I can get them to do even more work, I would (it's so worth ten cents!) so let me know of any ideas I'm missing. I know unloading the dishwasher is a biggie, but so far it's easier for me to do this while they're finishing up breakfast. They also work alongside of me and don't see every job they do as something that entitles them to a sticker and money.
On the same note, we've discovered that having a morning routine checklist is a huge motivator for Wesley. He wasn't with it at all in the mornings before, and I was probably doing way too much for him. Now, unsupervised, he is able to go potty, brush his teeth, brush his hair, put away is jammies, make his bed, and get dressed. I don't even have to tell him or remind him what to do, and he even has a good attitude about picking out his own clothes. He just colors in the squares on his checklist, another one I make at the DLTK site. He doesn't get paid for it or get stickers, he just likes coloring it in. This is just what we need in the mornings with the new baby coming! Cora doesn't function as fully as him or appreciate the chart nearly as much, but his example and enthusiasm has her following in his footsteps.
So WOOHOO for chore charts! I hope this helps you with your kids. Let me know of any other helpful chore ideas!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Another great chore to teach the kids is how to sort laundry. We sort ours in whites, lights, mediums, darks, jeans, & khakis. It really isn't that difficult, and it's a good habit to get into!
Love,
Jessie
I let Ava empty the dishwasher after I've taken out everything that's glass and the knives. She knows that she can do silverware and everything that's plastic! She can't reach where everthing goes, so I just have her put it on the counter under the cabinet. That at least helps a bit. I think we'll start doing a chore chart for her, too. Actually, I saw this chore chart online a while ago that I thought was cool and I was going to buy it for you as a gift! I'll send you the link and you can see if it is something you'd like or if the ones you print are easier! Miss you, can't wait to hear about baby news :) Do I get a name hint or initials this time?? Call me when you go to the hospital!
Love, Lisa
I was amazed at how well Jenna can sweep the floor after a meal and then dustbust the crumbs. (Jillian makes quite a mess after lunch and dinner...and I should probably have her clean the mess herself, but she's just not quite capable yet and Jenna loves to feel helpful)
Post a Comment