Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Book Review: The Old Testament

On October 1st I finished reading the Old Testament for the very first time. I have missed so much by never doing this before. But I'll try to stick to the book review side of reading this section of the inspired Word of God.

The Old Testament is a history of the world, and more specifically, of the Jewish people. So as a Christian, this is my spiritual heritage. Reading through chronologically definitely helped my understanding of the timeline of events. I loved seeing a more full picture of the people in the Bible. Do you realize how closely Moses talked with God? I never realized that before. And David...I just thought of his one big sin in the past. But the way God talks about David gives me so much insight into the forgiveness of God, and now I see David as so much more of a spiritual giant in my history.

The Isrealites as a whole are a scary example to me. These were God's chosen people by a blood line. I'm not. Do I think that I could do better than them without being constantly in tune with God? I need to learn this Word so that I am one of the remnant. One of those who receive God's blessings for generations.

The Old Testament is about God. God's character, God's conversations with man. I say I want something concrete to know God, and to understand his Will. This whole time I've had one of the biggest books around. Do we not complain about the Bible being so big, it's overwhelming to read??? This huge concrete thing, with words plainly written in black and white, is available for me to know exactly what God wants me to know. What better way, that leaves no room for confusion, is there to know God?

Now I respect the Bible. I love the Bible. I am dependent on the Bible. And just think - I'm not quite through the gospels yet. The best part is yet to come!

No comments: