Friday, October 20, 2006

To-Do List Encouragement

You could easily guess that I'm really great at making to do lists. I developed this talent soon after getting married, but my most marvelous to-do lists came about when I was enrolled in college full time. I think my lists have always been so beautiful because they have never been marred by checkmarks or long, ugly lines crossing each item off.

My to-do lists have just never gotten...done. It's very sad. The biggest problem is that I'm way too ambitious, but side problems include self-centeredness and a strong streak of laziness. But then last week I thought, "I should clean the house before I have guests next weekend. Maybe I need a to-do list!" So on Sunday night I made my glorious week-long list. Then I extrapolated my Monday list. Here's the shocker: I did everything on that Monday list! And Monday's list had lots of gross, boring stuff on it, too! Then on Tuesday an even stranger thing happened...I crossed of everything on that list, too! The beginning of the week was drudgery, but by Wednesday night I was feeling good. Thursday the house looked and felt great, and I had time and energy to do some fun stuff.

On Friday afternoon, when I was expecting a housefull of women, including some overnight guests, I had time to make 2 pretty little garlands out of cookie cutters and fabric scraps, all the while inspired by my sweet friend Dawn. All that hard work and discipline applied consistently throughout the week brought peace, gentleness, and happiness to my spirit. It probably made me a better wife, mother, and hostess, too!

Everything went so well that I thought I'd try it this week, too. It's Friday afternoon, and here I am sitting at this frivolous computer. I'm relaxing and pretending I'm talking to my girlfriends, even though I'm expecting guests tonight and tomorrow night. Now, not everything on my list has been completed. But I kept trying all week and everything is in much better shape than normal. I don't feel like I'm drowning in mothering and housewife duties like I normally do. I'm especially enjoying having guilt-free time for those extra things I like to do, like sewing and organizing our pictures.

So let me encourage you to steadily plod onward toward your daily goals. Just do those yucky things first, as quickly as possible. I know you know to do that, I'm just reminding you! Here are some encouraging words from Booker T. Washington I found in his book Up From Slavery.

As far as I can, I make it a rule to plan for each day's work - not merely to go through with the same routine of daily duties, but to get rid of the routine work as early in the day as possible, and then enter upon some new or advance work. I make it a rule to clear my desk every day, before leaving the office, of all correspondence and memoranda, so that on the morrow I can begin a new day of work. I make it a rule never to let my work drive me, but to so master it, and keep it in such complete control, and to keep so far ahead of it, that I will be the master instead of the servant. There is a physical and mental and spiritual enjoyment that comes from a consciousness of being the absolute master of one's work, in all its details, that is very satisfactory and inspiring. My experience teaches me that, if one learns to follow this plan, he gets a freshness of body and vigor of mind out of work that goes a long way toward keeping him strong and healthy. I believe that when one can grow to a point where he loves his work, this gives him a kind of strength that is most valuable.

This has been inspiring to me because this is such a great man. Surely I don't have more to do than Mr. Washington! I've wondered how this model of office-type work would apply to the tasks of mothering. I'm beginning to see my chores on more of a weekly schedule, and if I can get through the routine chores early on, I am freed up by Thursday or Friday to pursue the advanced. It is very pleasant! If you do not know Mr. Washington's history, his words will have no value to you. If you read his autobiography, you may find his words adding much value to your thought life!

No comments: