Saturday, February 09, 2008

Girls' Night In

I have been having such a hard time with Cora! She is such a little darling, but she throws so many tantrums. I am not exaggerating - her full-blown tantrums come at 5 to 15 minute intervals.

I was blessed to have a nice long chat with my pastor's wife, who is my favorite (not related to me) parenting mentor. She reminded me that I might try looking for another need that's not being met, and really focus on that instead of just disciplining Cora.

So Thursday night us girls skipped church so I could give Cora two solid hours of undivided attention. We made waffles to freeze and read books while waiting for them to cook. Then we painted our toenails, which Cora has been asking to do lately. The grand finale was a snack of hot chocolate, graham crackers and peanut butter while watching a short kiddie movie TOGETHER. We had a great evening, but I have to admit staying on the couch for the entire kiddie movie was a challenge for me.

Did it help? Well, no tantrums during the one-on-one time. But we had a medium-sized tantrum at bedtime and maybe only slightly less tantrums on Friday. I guess it takes time. I hope Cora is the strong willed child, because if she's just average I don't know how parents keep their sanity!

No comments: