Friday, January 09, 2009

Food Pyramid Project

I saw an idea for turning your fridge into a food pyramid and I thought it looked really fun. Tuesday we didn't have much planned and I wanted to wipe out the fridge a little, so we went for it. I printed out a food pyramid and some blank food pyramids for the kids to color while we talked about what it meant.

Then we started sorting. They loved moving things around in the fridge and figuring out what category different foods fit into. Our fridge is now organized really funny, but at least there are labels!
We finished up right at lunch time, so I let Bud pick out something from all the food groups for lunch. He chose crackers for grains, milk and shredded cheddar for dairy, spaghetti squash for vegetable, grapefruit and oranges for fruit, and bacon for protein. Sugrfoot exchanged her squash for tomatoes. I asked Bud several times if he was sure he wanted spaghetti squash, and it was pretty funny when he made himself eat it even though he didn't really like it.

I thought this would be a fun project, but I was really surprised at how much Bud got into it. When he wanted a snack later, he checked out the food pyramid first and decided he wanted some dairy. He kept saying, "We're having a fun time, aren't we Mommy!"

2 comments:

Janean said...

Cute idea!!

Rebecca said...

What a fun and educational project! You look like you are an amazing Mom. I am not a parent yet but I told my husband about your idea and we both think it is so fun, we'll definitely be stealing that one!