Greetings from icy Kentucky! I have never seen this much ice. I didn't know this is what would happen when you got that much ice, snow and rain in a two day period!

The storm hit on Monday night, and I think we finally made it outside on Thursday. It was so hard to play in the snow, because it was quite the ice sandwich, as you can see.

We tried to sled ride, but we didn't have a big enough landing at the bottom of our hill so we just kept crashing.

And then there was the problem of our wooden sled, which we had carelessly left out in the back yard. We tried to pry it out of the ice, but it wouldn't give.

Instead we used our super-speedy-even-in-slow-snow round plastic sled. It had a gigantic plate of ice in it!

Here's one reason I was in a bit of a sour mood last week. One of the positives about our new home was the great trees. We lost one to the hurricane winds this past fall and two more were seriously damaged, if not completely ruined, by this storm. The weeping willow is my absolute favorite, and I'm optimistic it can be saved. But I cringe every time I see this picture!

As the ice melted and froze again, it pushed it's way up from the gutter and under the shingles. We had quite a leak in Old Timer's room, but thankfully the husband was able to divert it before it did serious damage.
Most people I talked to have had their power out for at least half a day, but most of them have had it out for several days. Ours was out for about 36 hours on Sunday and Monday, but thankfully our family took care of us so we stayed warm and our stocked up food stayed cold!
I try not to mind winter here in sunny Kentucky too much because whatever the weather is here, I know it's colder in Iowa. But...I have to admit that now that I've been back home for four winters, I'm a complete wimp by Iowa standards. I've lost all my toughness and I just can't wait for spring!
1 comment:
Even a leak in the ceiling looks serene in your world!
Post a Comment