Monday, April 05, 2010

Beef! (and a potato recipe)

We've been progressively purchasing more whole foods as often as possible directly from farmers, so why not buy a whole cow? That's DEFINITELY a whole food!

Well, we didn't really buy a whole cow, just half of one. My pappaw is a cattle buyer and I asked him to seek out a grass-feed beef for our family.

Cows were created to eat grass, but apperently commercially raised cattle eat a lot of corn, and local cows from little farms eat some, too. The grain is hard on a cow's digestive system, resulting in decreased health of the animal. Resulting in increased antibiotics. And growth hormones to speed up the process. All resulting in a tasty but lower quality meat.

It turns out that grass-fed beef is full of nutrients you won't find in supermarket beef. Grass-fed beef is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a proven cancer fighter, as well as vitamins A and E, branch-chain amino acids, digestive enzymes and essential nutrients that are known for their antioxidant properties. Healthier cow, healthier you!

Having my Pappaw buy a cow for me also helps in other ways. I think it respects my heritage a little. And there is the issue of treating the cow, farmer, and butcherer kindly and ethically.

So I've been saving up and just a couple weeks ago my Pappaw called to say he'd found us a limosine yearling that hadn't been started on much corn yet. It was a bargain and we took. Now, this isn't some certified organic grass fed beef. But it is much healthier for us than the alternative. I think what's getting us through this transition into natural eating is not being perfectionists about everything.



Ever wonder what a cow looks like in a van? Maybe this isn't what you had in mind, but there's a cow in there alright! We split it with my parents and each brought home about 188 pounds, for the grand sum of $275. Yes, that includes filet mignon! I was thrilled at what a great deal this was!

Now, here's the catch. In our 11 years of marriage, I'm sure we've spent much less than that on beef. My husband doesn't like hamburger, and when we were young college students we just didn't want to pay for expensive cuts like roasts and steaks. I was inexperienced at preparing it anyway, so we just ate chicken. I never got out of the rut of thinking beef was too expensive. Until now!

My cooking skills have definitely come a long way since 1998, and I love to experiment! We've been beef deprived and I'm looking forward to some good red meat. Almost every time I cook this it's going to be an experiment because I have so little previous experience with beef. I plan to post the best recipes we find, just in case you're a little stumped about how to prepare beef, too.

Here's our first meal - grilled sirloin steak. Okay, not really an experiment here but I'd like to point out that the beef was SO tender. We served it with Pappy Potatoes. My dad made up this method for grilling potatoes. We've always eaten them so much that I'm shocked that everyone doesn't grill their potatoes all summer long, too. If you're unfamiliar with grilled taters, here's a little primer for you.

Pappy Potatoes

white or sweet potatoes, scrubbed, pierced and microwave until tender
butter or olive oil
montreal seasoning and salt
or salt, pepper, garlic powder, and other seasonings you like
Optional: honey or cheese
ketchup or ranch dressing for dipping

Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise and cut some slashes into the flesh so the oil or butter can get down into them. Grill on a pre-heated grill for about 20 minutes. Brush with oil or butter and sprinkle liberally with seasonings. You may like them best when they're really brown and crispy (like me), or you may prefer them golden and tender (like my husband).

You can mix some honey in with the butter to give the potatoes a slightly sweet crust. My parents like to melt cheese on the potatoes a few minutes before they're finished. At our house, we like them basic the best.

No comments: