I tried to avoid it this year, but I've finally given in to the fact that a handmade Christmas is the only way for our family. Over the summer and fall I decided crafting was maybe too much of a drain on my time. Picking back up with Christmas crafts turned out to be a great surprise, because I felt so excited and happy making all these beautiful projects! The only draw backs were the late late nights because I got to such a late start in the season.
I wanted the kids to get more into the spirit of giving, so I helped them make gifts for just about everyone they love and everyone that deserved a big "Thank You!" They did great on the jingle bell wreaths, fussed a little for the Santa handprints, were very difficult for the candle holder cups, and didn't help with the sheep at all. I think we had too many projects that were too difficult! All that was forgotten when it was time to hand out presents, and they could tell everyone, "I made it for you!" The other gift in the picture is a paper mache dinosaur egg. They helped me a little during the different stages of this cool project. We made 21 of these for all the kids we know, including my Sunday School class. We also made homemade play dough dinosaur eggs to go with them. Our other kid gift was homemade rainbow crayons, made by melting broken crayons together. As you can guess, not every project was completed in time for a picture!
This was my favorite project to make! It is a taggie made for Baby Levi, and it only took about an hour to sew. It was a little nerve racking when I began the project because I had to make the first cut into a vintage chenille bedspread for the backing! Lisa has made these before, and she gave me good instructions so that I had no problems, and it was completely worth it to cut up that old bedspread!
Wrist pincushions! These came in a close second for being my favorite project! I made them all in one sitting, even though that sitting stretched into the wee hours of the morning! It was even begter when the project was finished and I could actually use the polka-dot one I made for myself. These were for Grandma Betty, Grandma Self, Lisa, my mom, and my pastor's wife Dominic.
I wanted the kids to get more into the spirit of giving, so I helped them make gifts for just about everyone they love and everyone that deserved a big "Thank You!" They did great on the jingle bell wreaths, fussed a little for the Santa handprints, were very difficult for the candle holder cups, and didn't help with the sheep at all. I think we had too many projects that were too difficult! All that was forgotten when it was time to hand out presents, and they could tell everyone, "I made it for you!" The other gift in the picture is a paper mache dinosaur egg. They helped me a little during the different stages of this cool project. We made 21 of these for all the kids we know, including my Sunday School class. We also made homemade play dough dinosaur eggs to go with them. Our other kid gift was homemade rainbow crayons, made by melting broken crayons together. As you can guess, not every project was completed in time for a picture!
This was my favorite project to make! It is a taggie made for Baby Levi, and it only took about an hour to sew. It was a little nerve racking when I began the project because I had to make the first cut into a vintage chenille bedspread for the backing! Lisa has made these before, and she gave me good instructions so that I had no problems, and it was completely worth it to cut up that old bedspread!
Wrist pincushions! These came in a close second for being my favorite project! I made them all in one sitting, even though that sitting stretched into the wee hours of the morning! It was even begter when the project was finished and I could actually use the polka-dot one I made for myself. These were for Grandma Betty, Grandma Self, Lisa, my mom, and my pastor's wife Dominic.
Corkboard wall organizers with a pocket. This was a cool project because the fabric and ribbon is beautiful and I sewed through corkboard! These were for Lydia, my mom, and Lisa.

These are the lapdesks Santa gave the kids. This was cool project because Eric did the woodworking and I did the painting. Wesley's is an alligator and Cora's is a watermelon. We are planning more homemade gifts for next year, but I'm hoping to make them well ahead of time...like in February!
No comments:
Post a Comment