Monday, January 18, 2010

Sunny Valley Country Store

After a month-long delay, I was finally able to go to the Amish bulk foods store! I was so excited about the big day, and as you can see, J--- was equally excited!

The entire trip was prompted by the Women's Ministries at our church. The women donated some supplies to the Galilean Home just up the road from the Amish store, and they needed to deliver them. The delivery included a tour of the Home and lunch at the affiliated restaurant, the Bread of Life Cafe. When I saw all this in the church bulletin, I was VERY excited!

Most of the women weren't planning on going to the Amish store, but I did talk my friend T--- and her two kids into riding along with us. I definitely recommend travelling with other moms who love babies, but whose kids are slightly older! T--- blessed me so much by graciously helping me care for my kids! It was also a huge boost to the confidences of my littles to spend some time with such cool, older kids.

I caused us to be a little late, so I was very rushed through the store. But we made it in time to still get a very good tour of the Galilean Home, which made this an important field trip for the kids. We toured the private school, met the residents at the home for mentally and physically handicapped adults, and cooed over the little babies at the Angel House, whose parents are in prison.

I had made a huge shopping list, but I was so rushed I didn't really stick to it. I was just throwing things in the cart, and when it came to the spices, I just had to give up. I never did find the chili powder! I had been saving money for a month, and really saving this month by doing this pantry challenge, so I had $201 to spend. I'm always scared to get my total here, but I really felt the hand of God blessing my hard homemaking work when I heard the total. It was $200.56. I couldn't believe it, and every time I start to second-guess my purchases - what I bought too much of, or what else I should have bought - I think about that total.

Look at all the good food. The really real "foodie" food! I was excited when I asked about buying a 50 pound bag of chemical free hard white wheat, and it was the price I expected! I just look at all this and think, "I can make just about anything with all this!"I couldn't fit all this good food into one picture, so you can see the lemon in the middle for perspective. Our treats were low-sugar unsulphured dried pineapple and dried mango. Mmmm, I think I could go on about this food and this store for a long time, but perhaps instead I should just go eat some of it!

1 comment:

jessie shock said...

Wow! That is so AWESOME! The Lord always takes care of His own! And yeah... I believe He's definately blessing your efforts!