Friday, July 25, 2008

Farm Day

Does it never stop? As I was yawning over the local paper Thursday morning and creaking in my bones from beach day, I saw Farm Field Day listed in the Community Calendar, and it was TODAY! We've been looking forward to this event since last year, and I've been checking the calendar every week hoping to plan for it. And they spring this on me? Who cares, it's too good to miss, so I go into overdrive preparing for the morning. Just to complicate things, I am already lined up to pick up a gallon of blackberries plus I get a heads-up that the appraiser is coming. We gulp down some oatmeal and start sweeping and mopping. The house is just starting to shine, and the kids are barely recovering from a spat over the toy vacuum, when the call comes that the appraiser is not coming! Well...at least the house is looking good and a little rushing is worth the reward - a ribeye sandwich courtesy of the Cattleman's Association! Somehow we make it out the door by 9:45! We have a pleasant stop at a happy backyard-farmer's house for some gigantic organic blackberries, and then we are on our way!

If you live in a rural community in Kentucky, you may be familiar with UK's Extention Program's county farm days. A family hosts the event at their farm (which is tiny compared to an Iowa farm because our crops our usually much more labor intensive). Lots of farmers and farm wives come, and there's 2 or 3 stay at home moms and some day cares to round out the attendees. All the men pile on wagons and head to the barn for the agricultural program, and the women huddle under shade tents for cooking and homemaking programs. The kids have their own tent full of crafts, storybooks, and friendly librarians and extension agents. Lunch is served by the Cattleman's Association and is MOUTH WATERING! Let me just say... coolers and coolers of chocolate milk! After lunch the kids get their turn for a wagon ride and we all gasp at the slight breeze, occassional shade, and continuous beautiful countryside. All in all, it was an awesome day, my friend Sarah was there and we had a great visit, and I'm already excited about next year because our new county is rural enough to have a farm day, too!
Rolling down the hill, and loving every minute that they wallow in the grass.

Running down the little hill so her homemade kite might take flight.

Ready for the hayride!

I was so happy when we got home that I put the kids to bed and instead of sitting down myself I made 10 pints of blackberry jam!

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Hello Cousin! Is is so fun to see pictures of your family and hear the news! Thank you for sharing your life.