Wednesday, July 16, 2008

On the Farm

We're trying to catch every fruit in season and lately we've bought peaches from the orchard and picked blueberries near the orchard. The peaches were perfect, not a bruise on the bunch. For the past couple years I have not been able to buy peaches at the grocery store at all, I'm completely ruined! We bought peaches on July 4 and Eric helped me make jam the next day. It's sugar-free and tastes like sunshine!

We stopped and picked blueberries the day we moved out of the city home. I was surprised to learn blueberries grow around here, and I hadn't ever seen a blueberry bush! They're easy to pick, but it takes forever because they're so tiny. We picked about 4 pounds and I made jam the next day. Yum!

Don't be fooled, Cora isn't helping Wesley here. She's stealing his berries. She never got one berry in her bucket, but quite a few made it into her mouth. Wesley was a pretty good berry picker, but he got tired of it after about an hour. It was getting hot, and we were getting hungry!

After berry picking we were only two miles from the orchard, so we went there for the treat of all treats! They have a wonderful restaurant that I look forward to frequenting after we move. The kids loved it, and why not? Can you see Cora eating her apple donut appetizer here? The weather was beautiful and a big ol' dog liked the kids so much that he laid under our table during lunch.
One happy mama! I love fresh fruit and I love special restaurants!

No comments: