Thursday, February 18, 2010

A History of Envelope Systems

When I got my first job, working at Wendy's, I set up my first envelope system. That was about 14 years ago and I have never stopped using envelopes for budgeting. Now I just have more envelopes! For a few years I used the Dave Ramsey envelope system, but I wore out two of those. Next I made a system composed of regular envelopes, scrapbook paper, and duct tape. Really.
L--- modelling her classy bag.
A year or so later My friend L---, who is much more classy and would probably never use duct tape in her billfold, gave me a great billfold that can actually fit regular envelopes. That's what I've been using, but my envelopes always get really worn and they fall all over the place when I'm shuffling through them at the store.
But now I've found the ultimate in homemade envelope systems! Enter Money Saving Mom, who blogged about the free tutorial at Keleigh Ratzlaff Designs. The tutorial includes a template for making your own envelopes from pretty scrapbook paper. You then bind all your envelopes together and secure them in your billfold, solving the problem of envelopes sliding all over the place.


How awesome is that? Pretty, functional envelopes! These envelopes are so awesome at solving problems, that I've actually been able to keep more money in them by the end of the month than I could with regular white envelopes. They must be magic envelopes!


And what about my classy friend L---? I've not forgotten her kindness in originally getting me away from the duct tape envelope system. I surprised her with her very own pretty and classy envelope system for her birthday. Happy Birthday L---!

3 comments:

little mama said...

Thanks again for the special surprise! I love my envelopes :) I have prego brain, so now I get what you mean about the modeling picture...but my hair looks nice and I look skinny, so I love it! haha! Miss you :)

Ami said...

You do look skinny, and I'm sure you recall that you were about 9 months pregnant there. See, you really know how to pick a purse!

jessie shock said...

Really cool envelopes!