Did I just write that?
Yes, January was nice. We rested. I feel like we finally found a homeschool balance. Not too much, not too little, just right! We overcame some difficult discipline issues during school lessons, and I am much relieved. I didn't really take on additional projects, in fact my housework slipped a bit at the end of the month when we fell sick. This is the first year I can say it, but we really enjoyed having less on the calendar.
I started out the month trying my very best. I am amazed at how quickly I fall from trying my best to just getting by. In trying hard to do good, I realized there is nothing good in me aside from my Savior. But the root of the trying is the awareness that every moment can be spent serving God. I fall away from that so easily.
At the same time, I realize how God is speaking to me. He encouraged me when my grocery total hit the mark. He provided for me when I was wanting a good Bible study, but not knowing how to get one or what to get, and then my church started a completely new Sunday School program offering the Beth Moore Daniel Bible study. He got my attention when instead of freezing all night long, I woke up at 4:00 a.m. burning up and wide awake, realizing it was the perfect time to seek Him. All this while I was feeling a little hum-drum in my days. It's not about how I feel, it's about opening my eyes to see the Lord.
January may be the best month for reading! I feel like I've nearly traipsed the globe lately, and I've hardly left the house. Sure it's cliche, but the world is open to you when you open a book! Here's what I read. Except for Clifford, Honey Bunny Funnybunny, etc., I'll spare you those reviews! If you want to get more ideas for books to read, check out the links at Life As Mom.Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyon
This is the first time I have read this classic, I am sorry to say. It took me about a month to complete. Because I usually read for only about ten minutes at a time, I felt like I was constantly getting golden nuggets of thoughts of my walk with God, all throughout the day. I loved that the parallels from the story to life are simple to understand and apply personally. I loved that this book written in prison in the seventeenth century speaks so straitforwardly to me today. I knew very little of the story, so I was very pleasantly surprised when Part II began and Christiana made her journey! This book is a blessing to my soul and I will be reading it again I'm sure. I have not yet taught myself the discipline of reading with a pencil in hand, and I'm sure my comprehension of this book suffered for it.
A Mom Just Like You by Vickie Farris
My very sweet friend and mentor, D---, recommended this book to me. I had forgotten about it but saw it jotted down when I pulled out D---'s little homeschool booklet to lend to a friend. A few days later I just happened to see it on the shelf at the library! It was written by the president of the HSLDA's wife and daughter. I was fascinated while reading this book because it is about homeschooling a family of 10. Farris spends about half of her words describing their life, and the other half of her words encouraging other moms. I was uplifted and edified by Farris.
A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond
We always have a long read-aloud book going during storytime. I pick older books and I treasure them! Paddington was a fun read-aloud, but it wasn't as great as other classics like the Little House Books and The House at Pooh Corner. Paddington doesn't strongly pull on the emotions like other classics, but it is silly and entertaining. I like the wider vocabulary and exposure to a different time and place. The kids giggled quite a bit when "things were always happening" to Paddinton. So bottom line - Paddington was lighthearted and silly, but doesn't touch on moral edification or provide a strong shared emotional experience for the readers.
The Omnivore's Delimma by Michael Pollan
I just love the variety we have the opportunity to be exposed to in books! The subtitle of this book is "The Natural History of Four Meals." Pollan traces where four meals come from, including industrial (McDonald's), organic industrial (Whole Foods Market), local, and hunter/gatherer. This book was really long, but so fascinating that I never once remember looking at a page number. The writing style really drew me in. It was easy to read, but not dumbed-down. Pollan mentions evolution on just about every other page; he also refers to Bible facts in a style that expects general knowledge of the Bible from his readers. It was a very peculair combination, but his excellent writing style prevailed in making it simply peculair, and not at all obnoxious.
I especially loved the parts about Joel Salatin's grass farm in Virginia. I feel like I learned so much! I am also thankful to live where food grows. And I don't mean corn and soybeans. Many of my friends have gardens, nearly all of the men hunt. Many of the women hunt, too. So acquiring food locally and by hunting and gathering wasn't as abnormal to me as it was to the writer.
Reading this brought on a bit of consternation on my part, though, as to what to do with the information. Coincidentally, while I was reading this the memory verse in the little girl's class I teach was Proverbs 12:10, "The righteous man cares for the needs of his animals." And to further personalize my reading experience, just as I was finishing the book, my friend V--- gave me two roosters she needed to get rid of...providing my experience of being the "righteous man". I only had the roosters for a couple of hours (if you know what I mean), but it was definitely a very thoughtful process. I have yet to buy meat from the grocery since finishing the book, and we're about out of our supply, so we'll see what happens next in our kitchen!
I realize my description of this book is very vague. I think you really have to want to know where your food comes from in order to want to know more about this book. So I'll spare you the details and just let you know that it fascinated me.
I read when I nurse J---. He will be completely weaned by the end of March. That's good, it's time, but WHEN AM I GOING TO GET MY READING FIX??? As a very adorable side note, baby boy often insists on holding a board book while he nurses!
1 comment:
Great list! I've been meaning to read The Pilgrim's Progress in the adult version. Thanks for the reminder.
Post a Comment