Thursday, February 18, 2010

Awww, man, I didn't make enough KALE!

That's exactly what I was thinking after I made lunch today! I've been hearing about the extensive health benefits of kale for the past few months, and last week I finally bought some at the grocery. And then I let it sit in the produce drawer. Yesterday I saw instructions for making kale chips and I thought I really should pull out my kale and give it a try. They were so easy and so good! The kale gets completely crisp, like a delicate chip. Amazing, truly amazing. They're so crispy and salty, they would be delicious with Mt. Dew...I mean unsweetened caffeine-free iced tea. We made one cookie sheet of them. J--- and I could not get enough, and C--- liked them quite a bit, but W--- didn't really like them. That's 3 for 4! J--- kept trying to reach for more. Poor short baby! I also made a pot of vegetable lentil soup, and threw some kale in there, too. Usually I use spinach in it, but I think I liked the kale better.

Doesn't that look colorful and nutritious? I just ate some dark chocolate and coffee too, so I'm thinking I should be good on anti-oxidants for a while. Although I do wish I had another big plate of kale chips right about now.
Making Kale Chips:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Wash kale, tear the ribs off, and dry in a salad spinner.
  3. Toss in a bowl with a very little bit of extra virgin olive oil.
  4. Place on greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt
  5. Bake 12 - 15 minutes, until edges are browned but not burned.

I bought bagged kale which is already washed, which was good because I don't have a salad spinner. Instead I laid the kale (which really wasn't very wet) on a towel to air dry for a couple hours.

1 comment:

purple squirrel said...

Hi~

I stumbled on your blog somehow, and it's delightful! Now I'm inspired to try Kale! (My kids love broccoli, so that's good, but I should try this as well! :) )
Just a note.... you probably should still wash your bagged greens~ At least that's what I've heard... {sigh}.
Blessings~