Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious
gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may
encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to
be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own
husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored. Titus 2:3-5
I have been blessed to have older women caring for me, especially since I've moved home to Kentucky. I live close to my mother and mother-in-law, both of whom love God and want to encourage me while I serve God in my home. I am thankful for the time and care they give me, but in some ways their voice has already carried through in my life. By that I mean that what they've done for the past 30 years says more than what they'll say next week. They have had 30 years of speaking blessing into my life.
I also have mentors who are willing to give their time to speak boldly into my life right now. When a woman who is not my mother takes the time to encourage me in living for God's glory, it really gets my attention. I can feel God ministering to me by petitioning a friend's encouragement for me. I see God at work connecting His children, knowing how He wants us to love one another.
The pastor's wife at my country church has been my most influential mentor. A couple years ago I was feeling down for weeks and just couldn't shake it, when this sweet friend wrote me a long letter of encouragement and hand delivered it to me at home on Mother's Day because I missed church with sick children. God had spoken to her on my behalf when I was distressed! Certainly, I was cured of the blues then! We were able to visit this lovely family in January and she had collected some beautiful old books as a sweet gift for our family, in addition to serving us lots of love and a beautiful meal.
I want to give to younger women, too. I hope I pay attention to my friends needs. I pray I am attentive to the Holy Spirit's promptings on their behalf. I want to be bold and not shy when it comes to stepping out and giving my time.
How have you been touched lately by an older women who took time to encourage you?
No comments:
Post a Comment