Friday, March 26, 2010

Menu Plan - Spring's beginning!

Menu planning gets a little more exciting when the seasons change, don't you think? I've been trudging through my menu plans lately. Yesterday my friend J--- went on a milk run with me and our conversation reminded us both that we need to stay on top of our meal plans!

And C---, don't you peek at what we're having when you visit Sunday night,because you'll be pretty disappointed if I get lazy and just get Little Caeser's pizzas for dinner!

By the way, meals are also more fun when you have a little girl with Shirley Temple hair!

Saturday: Green Smoothie, Gingerbread Waffles w/ pb; out to lunch; leftovers

Sunday: Hashbrown and egg casserole; leftovers; Grilled Beef Gyros, tossed salad, hummus platter, fruit, mocha truffle brownies

Monday: yogurt parfaits; chili; leftovers

Tuesday: Hashbrown and egg casserole; Out to lunch; Tuna Salad, pitas, butternut squash fries

Wednesday: 7-grain cereal; chili; grilled salmon, onions, and peppers with rice and corn

Thursday: Green Smoothies and banana millet muffins, tuna salad, copycat Passover dinner

Friday: Hot Cross Buns and fruit; BBQ and chips; leftovers

Saturday: cold cereal; Potato Soup and Soft Pretzels; homemade pizza

Sunday: Breakfast at church; Family Easter Dinner; leftovers

We are having a Passover dinner, but we may or may not be serving lamb. I'm not sure if that will be easy to find or too expensive. We'll probably end up roasting a chicken instead. So very kosher of us. I've really enjoyed changing up our menus to embrace springtime, but I may be pushing it with serving so many cold breakfasts.

Oh, and about the green smoothies. I was all gung-ho about eating healthy a couple weeks ago and we made several batches of green smoothies and kale chips. I just kept buying those big 'ol bags of kale! One morning the smoothie was looking quite good but smelled a little pungent. Well...really pungent. It didn't take long to realize that I had accidentally bought mustard greens instead of kale. YUCK! That is one green that doesn't work in a green smoothie!

Are you ready to give up casseroles, roasts and bowls of steaming hot cereal? What are some of your favorite recipes to pull out in the springtime?

No comments: